There is excitement in the air with Mayfield moving up in class. And Beechwood, historically a Class 1A contender, find themselves in the #1 spot to begin the 2015 season. Will the Tigers finally deliver? The Raceland Rams follow at #2 with Paintsville nipping at their heals at #3 . Paintsville must be anxious for a rematch of the 2014 playoff round 3 game, which Raceland won. Throw Pikeville in the mix at #5 and the east looks strong.
Defending 2A 2014 State Champions, DeSales rank #2 in the 2015 pre-season rankings. Mayfiield, the 2014 Defending 1A Champion moves up in class and takes over the #1 spot in their new class in the pre-season. Making up a strong top 3 is Newport Central Catholic, the 2014 Class 2A runner up. The most interesting question is: will Mayfield dominate 2A like they dominated 1A?
Defending 3A State Champion and Eastern KY power, Belfry, retains the #1 spot in the Class 3A pre-season rankings. Central, the runner up in 2014’s State Championship game slips to #4 in the pre-season ranking, edged out by #2 Lexington Catholic and #3 Boyle County. Any informed fan has to like a Chuck Smith team playing in 3A, right?
A new look to Class 4A in 2015 finds Johnson Central ranked #1 in the pre-season, followed closely by two west-of-I65 teams. John Hardin comes in at #2 followed by South Warren at #3 . 4A appears to be the most wide open class in KY with no real favorite to win the title. Who will dominate 4A now that Highlands has moved on?
Although moving up a class, Highlands, the defending Class 4A 2014 State Champions once again are ranked #1 in the pre-season. Former perennial 5A #1 and Regional United States Power Bowling Green is ranked #2, with Pulaski County, the 2014 Defending State Champions slipping to #3 to begin the 2015 campaign. Former power Covington Catholic and their new coach comes in at #4 , trailed by 2014 6A runner up Dixie at#7 to form the toughest 5A district in KY.
Trinity, Class 6A 2014 State Champions, begins the 2015 season ranking #2 behind Male. Many football insiders believe Male was the best team in KY last year, but can the Bulldogs win when it matters? Scott County, who lost to Meade County in the 2nd round of the 2014 Playoffs, finds themselves at the #3 spot. St. Xavier comes in at a disappointing #6 , leaving many to wonder if this will be another down year for the Tigers.
1. Beechwood — OPEN
2. Raceland vs. 3A West Carter (8/22)
3. Paintsville at 3A Sheldon Clark.
4. Russellville at 3A Trigg County.
5. Pikeville at 2A Prestonsburg .
6. Frankfort vs. Paris at Montgomery County (8/22)
7. Hazard vs. Pineville
8. Fairview vs. 3A Bath County
9. Campbellsville at 2A Glasgow
10. Williamsburg at 2A Lexington Christian
1. Mayfield at 3A Fort Campbell
2. DeSales at 5A Fairdale
3. Newport Central Catholic at 4A Scott
4. Christian Academy-Louisville at 6A #7 Simon Kenton
5. Owensboro Catholic vs. 1A Louisville Holy Cross
6. Shelby Valley at 4A #6 Franklin County (8/22)
7. Murray vs. West Green (TN) (8/22)
8. Lloyd Memorial at Walton-Verona
9. Monroe County vs. 5A #2 Bowling Green at Western Kentucky University (8/22)
10. Danville vs. 3A Larue County
1. Belfry — OPEN
2. Lexington Catholic at 6A Boone County
3. Boyle County vs. 6A #9 Central Hardin at Mercer County (8/22)
4. Central at 6A #4 Manual
5. Paducah Tilghman at 6A #8 McCracken County (8/22)
6. Russell — OPEN
7. Corbin at 5A Whitley County
8. Bell County vs. 2A Middlesboro
9. Garrard County vs. 4A Shelby County
10. Lawrence County vs. 4A Boyd County
1. Johnson Central — OPEN
2. John Hardin vs. #3 South Warren at Western Kentucky University (8/22)
3. South Warren vs. #2 John Hardin at Western Kentucky University (8/22)
4. Ashland — OPEN
5. Franklin-Simpson at Portland (TN)
6. Franklin County vs. 2A #6 Shelby Valley (8/22)
7. Collins at 5A Montgomery County (8/22)
8. North Oldham vs. Western
9. Warren Central vs. 5A #5 Owensboro at Western Kentucky University
10. Bourbon County — OPEN
1. Highlands at 6A Cooper
2. Bowling Green vs. 2A #9 Monroe County at Western Kentucky University (8/22)
3. Pulaski County vs. Jefffersonville (IN) at Southwestern
4. Covington Catholic vs. 6A Ryle
5. Owensboro at 4A #9 Warren Central
6. Southwestern vs. Harlan County
7. Dixie Heights — OPEN
8. Anderson County vs. South Oldham
9. North Laurel vs. South Laurel
10. Christian County at 3A Caldwell County
1. Male vs. Floyd Central (IN)
2. Trinity vs. Ensworth (TN)
3. Scott County vs. Tates Creek
4. Manual vs. 3A #4 Central
5. Lafayette — OPEN
6. Saint Xavier — OPEN
7. Simon Kenton vs. 2A #4 Christian Academy-Louisville
8. McCracken County vs. 3A #5 Paducah Tilghman
9. Central Hardin vs. 3A #4 Boyle County at Mercer County (8/22)
10. Ballard vs. 5A Oldham County