DAYTON, Ohio – The University of Dayton men’s soccer team defeated the Saint Joseph’s Hawks 7-1 in Atlantic 10 play at Baujan Field on Wednesday night.
The Flyers are now 10-4-2 overall and 5-0-1 in the A-10. Saint Joseph’s falls to 3-11-2 overall and 1-4-1 in the conference.
- This was the first time Dayton scored seven goals in a game since Nov. 2, 2008 at Saint Joseph’s (W, 7-1).
- Dayton outshot St. Joseph’s 12-3 in the first half and 27-11 in the game.
- The Flyers totaled a season-high 16 shots on goal, including an 8-0 advantage in the first half.
- Saint Joseph’s switched goalkeepers midway through the first half, and with both keepers totaling four saves each.
- Dayton had seven corners in the contest compared to SJU’s two.
- With the seven goals, the Flyers once again lead the nation in scoring offense (2.69 goals per game) and total goals (43).
2nd Minute: Junior Coletun Long (1st goal of season) curled a long cross that made its way into the back of the net, on the assist from junior Tommy Harr. (Dayton 1, SJU 0)
21st Minute: Senior Kissima Bojang’s (3rd shot of season) shot went to the left of the keeper. Michael Frasca took a corner kick and Colten Long headed it back to Bojang who finished the play from 18-yards out. (Dayton 2, SJU 0)
30th Minute: Junior James Haupt (6th goal of season) retrieved a clearance from the Saint Joseph’s goalkeeper hit a shot from 50-yards out at midfield that found the left side of the net. (Dayton 3, SJU 0)
51st Minute: Senior Michael Frasca (3rd goal of season) was able to take the cross from Amass Amankona and drill the ball past the keeper from the left side of the goal. (Dayton 4, SJU 0)
55th Minute: Senior Maik Schoonderwoerd (8th goal of season) took a free kick at the top of the 18-yard box and buried his shot into the lower left corner. (Dayton 5, SJU 0)
62nd Minute: Haupt’s pass found Michael Frasca (4th goal of season) on the right side of the box. Frasca’s half-volley found the lower left corner of the net. (Dayton 6, SJU 0)
71st Minute: Nick Hagenkord retrieved a ball in the box. He turned to dribble, and his shot went to the right lower corner of the goal. (Dayton 7, SJU 1)
SAINT JOSEPH’S GOALS
69th Minute: Eddie McCusker’s header was saved by Justin Saliba. Saliba knocked the ball out to Mori Diane who was standing in the middle. Diane’s shot went to the left of Saliba. (Dayton 6, SJU 1)
The Flyers head to Fordham this Saturday at 7 p.m. with postseason seeding on the line. Dayton is currently first in the A-10 with 15 points while the Rams are second with 12 points.
The regular season finale and last home game for the Flyers this year will take place on Nov. 7 when Dayton hosts VCU. Game time is at 7 p.m. with a Senior Day Ceremony taking place prior to the game.
(Follow us on Twitter – @KYSportsMedia)