INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Three days after being named a top-30 candidate for the Senior CLASS Award, senior Emma Robeson led the University of Cincinnati volleyball team to a 3-1 (25-23, 23-25, 25-22, 25-21) victory over UIC at the Butler All-American Classic on Saturday afternoon in Indianapolis. The Brooks, Kentucky, native recorded a season-high 21 kills with only three errors for a .514 attacking percentage.
– With the win, Cincinnati improves to 6-2 while UIC falls to 4-4 on the season.
– Five UC players notched at least six kills in the match, led by Roberson’s match-high 21. Freshman Jordan Thompson (Edina, Minn./Edina) finished with 14, freshman Carly Nolan (Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake South) had 10, sophomore Maya Muldrow (Raleigh, N.C./Wakefield had seven and junior Ciara Hill (Bolingbrook, Ill./Bolingbrook) notched six. It is the seventh time in eight matches this season at least four Bearcats have hit at least five kills.
– Nolan completed her second-career double-double with 10 kills and a team-high 10 digs.
– Freshman Jade Tingelhoff (Lakeville, Minn./Lakeville South) dished out 38 assists in the match, setting a new career high by 14.
– Redshirt junior Alison Kimmel (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield North) had a match-high five blocks while Muldrow and Roberson each tallied four for the Bearcats.
– The Bearcats used a total defensive effort in the match with six players recording at least five digs. Nolan led with 10, junior Lindsey Dinkelacker (Cincinnati, Ohio/St. Louis) had eight, Kimmel had a career-high seven, freshman Abby Williams (Loveland, Ohio/Ursuline Academy) and sophomore Parker Shepherd (McKinney, Texas/McKinney Boyd) each tallied six and Tingelhoff chipped in five.
// SET BREAKDOWN
Set 1: UC 25, UIC 23
– The Bearcats held a 20-16 lead before a three-point scoring run for the Flames got UIC within 20-19. Roberson slammed a kill cross court to end the rally.
– A Hill kill gave UC set point at 24-22 before a UC service error kept the Flames in the game.
– A point later, Hill recorded the finishing kill to give the Bearcats the 25-23 victory in the set.
Set 2: UIC 25, UC 23
– Cincinnati jumped out to an early 3-0 lead with kills by Roberson, Kimmel and a service ace by Dinkelacker.
– UIC responded with five of the next six points, including a pair of blocks, for a 5-4 lead. The flames extended the lead to 14-11 following a three-point scoring run to force a Cincinnati timeout.
– Nolan worked to get the Bearcats back in the game with two kills and a block with Muldrow to tie the score back at 17-17.
– The flames again responded with a three-point scoring run, on kills by three different players, to grab a 21-18 advantage.
– Cincinnati faced set point for UIC at 24-20 but used a kill by Kimmel, an error by UIC and a block by Roberson and Kimmel to get within 24-23.
– Cincinnati couldn’t finish the comeback, falling 25-23 on a kill by the Flames’ Kara Johnson.
Set 3: UC 25, UIC 22
– The Bearcats broke open a five-point lead on a kill by Thompson to go ahead 9-4.
– The Flames tied the game at 17-17 but three straight points for the Bearcats, including Roberson and Kimmel kills, gave Cincinnati a 20-17 advantage.
– Thompson finished the set with a powerful slam to give the Bearcats a 25-22 win in the game and a 2-1 lead in the match.
Set 4: UC 25, UIC 21
– Consecutive kills by the Flames gave UIC a 7-4 lead early in the game, inducing a UC timeout by head coach Molly Alvey.
– A pair of blocks by Roberson and Kimmel and a Roberson kill got the Bearcats within 18-17 and forced a UIC timeout.
– The Bearcats came out of the timeout with four straight points, including an ace by Dinkelacker, a block by Roberson and Kimmel and back-to-back Roberson kills, forcing another UIC timeout with a 21-18 UC lead.
– Tingelhoff set up Muldow for a kill on the final point of the match, giving UC a 25-21 victory in the last set.
// UP NEXT
Cincinnati finishes play at the Butler All-American Classic tonight when it faces the host Butler at 6 p.m. from Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.
// FOLLOW THE BEARCATS
For all of the latest information on Cincinnati volleyball, please visit GoBEARCATS.com. For up to the minute updates, follow Cincinnati Volleyball (@GoBearcatsVB) and Coach Alvey (@CoachAlveyUC) on twitter. You can also find the Bearcats on Facebook (GoBearcatsVB) and Instagram (CincinnatiVBall).